onsdag 8. januar 2014

From "give me" to "make me"

Have you ever watched small children play? I have. And the words you hear the most, are "give me" or "it's mine". 
And we think that's childish. Grown-ups aren't that way. But wait. Are you sure you're not a "give-me-person"?
There's an account in the Bible of a young man who was a "give-me-person". We find the story in Luke 15:11-32. It's the story of the prodigal son.
You probably know the story, so I will only point out the "give me" and the "make me" parts.
In verse 12 the younger of two boys asks the father for his inheritance. "And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me'."
And his father gave him and his brother their share of the inheritance. The young man left his father's house and spent all his inheritance on prodigal living. After some time he "came to himself" and decided to go back to his father and he would say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants."
The young man had changed through the ordeals that he went through, and he went from a "give-me-person" to a "make-me-person". And his father rejoiced when the lost son came home, and made him to be more than he asked for. 
Are you going through tough times? May be it's time for you to go from "Lord, give me ..." to "Lord, make me ...".
"Lord, make me ..." is a prayer the Lord longs to answer, to your benefit and His glory!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar